Vai al contenuto

Polish Article About Xi Gruppo Sommergibili

Marek Sobski

Messaggi raccomandati

Thanks Totiano for help! And welcome everybody :biggrin: !

I am writing an article for the polish magazine "Okręty" from Kagero publishing - http://www.kagero.eu/okrety. Article will be about italian sommergibili at the Battle of the Atlantic.

This is my first article ever. It's very important to me. But i have a big trouble with photos to this article.

I beg you for help! I'm looking for contact to collectors, institutions or www which can share me photo or other materials for publication. I can of course put a photo taken at the present time. For example done in Bordeaux. Especially need pictures of good quality. Even a single will be very useful!

I always need permission (for example in e-mail) and source of photo! For example: courtesy Erminio Bagnasco or source: betasom.it

If anyone can help, please write here, PM or in my e-mail: marek.sobski@interia.eu.

My dream is to describe the entire history of Italy in the Second World War. This is first step :wink: . I have finished also text about Corpo Aero Italiano (maybe it will be a little book).

This is my letter for Uffico Storico della Marina:

Buongiorno,

Prima di tutto vorrei presentare l'essenza della mia richiesta. Sto scrivando un articolo su la storia della partecipazione dei sottomarini italiani durante la seconda guerra mondiale. Il testo sarà pubblicato nella rivista polacca sotto il titolo „Okrety” (una traduzione italiana del titolo di questa rivista c’e “I navi”) - http://www.kagero.eu/okrety, che viene pubblicato prima della casa editrice Karego. Pertanto, vorrei cortesamente pregare la vostra grossa gentilenza perché sto cerchando i materiali ausiliari grafici per il mio articolo. Quindi vorrei pregarVi il vs. aiuto a fornirmi i materiali iconografici che potrei usare nel mio lavoro. In particolare, in termini di:

- le fotografie di navi, capitani, equipaggi, le foto de la basa "Betasom", ecc.

- fotografie contemporanee di collezioni museali - uniformi, attrezzature delle navi, loro armie ecc.

- tutti i piani, disegni, grafici, ecc.

Sarò estremamente grato per qualsiasi materiale inviato! Per me veraento tutto può essere molto importante può essere, l`unico limite è l` immaginazione. Possono essere utili, ad esempio, anche tale cose come le fotografie di contemporanei marinaio pulsanti …

Vorrei anche chiedere una breve descrizione dei materiali - il nome delle navi nelle fotografie, il nome della persona che si trova nella foto, ecc.

Cercherò di ringraziare nel modo migliore che conosco – preparando un articolo interessante e fiero su un'arma sommergibile italiana nella Battaglia dell'Atlantico.

Ringrazio in anticipo per il vostro aiuto.

Marek Sobski

Greetings!

Link al commento
Condividi su altri siti

Hello Marek,

I wish you a good luck in your big project. Here is a link that could perhaps help you to got some pictures: http://www.marina.difesa.it/storiacultura/ufficiostorico/Documents/richiesta_fotoriproduzioni_2011.pdf

I tried last year to obtain some documentations from th USMM but one archivist told me that they don't have people whom can conduct a research for us. The only way to obtain the documentation, would be to go to Roma directly (...).

Here you could download the 1st picture I added on my website, it's from the USMM and here you could see others.

Pożegnanie - bye ;)

Link al commento
Condividi su altri siti

Hi Marek!

Welcome to Betasom.

Most of the pictures come from the Ufficio Storico (about 90%) and you should ask for the official permission to use.

By the way how long will the article? Which type of pictures do you need?

Link al commento
Condividi su altri siti

Probably is better to ask for title and not generically (also for Ufficio Storico). for example:

I need picture of:

-italian base of Bordeaux during ww2

-italian submarines Tazzoli, DaVinci, Cappellini, Torricelli, Archimede, Marconi, Tarantini ... (choose the better boats for your article)

-italian navy commanders Gazzana, Todaro, Fecia di Cossato, Longanesi Cattani... (choose the better for your article)

Link al commento
Condividi su altri siti

Article is long. 25-30 pages in Word. In the magazine it will be 40-60 pages in 2-4 parts :wink: . It is also about "Arandora Star", "Laconia" or "Nova Scotia",
Of course i can use photos of this ships. Especially need photos from Bordeaux, sommergibili and commanders.

Ok, i will send letter to Uffico Storico.

I can also buy photos, this six are from polish archive:

2 - who is on this photo?

4 - which sommergibile is on the photo?

5 - this same question

I have respond from Erminio Bagnasco. I can buy STORIA MILITARE DOSSIER and use photos. Maybe it's the only way, but little expansive :angry: .

Link al commento
Condividi su altri siti

1 Carlo Fecia di Cossato, Commander of ITS Tazzoli. 2^ italian sunker after Gazzana Priaroggia

2. Admiral Parona, commander of submarine base in bordeaux. I'm not sure about the commander of the submarine.

3. Carlo Fecia di Cossato but the rank (commander and not lt.cdr) probably means he is in Rome to receive a medal during his duty on destroier "Aliseo" .the admiral is not Doenitz, is italian!

4. pict is not taken in Bordeaux but in Taranto. it looks like a "Marconi" class

5. this is a famous picture: submarine Tazzoli

6. the man on the left is Enzo Grossi, commander of ITS Barbarigo and after commander of betasom

Link al commento
Condividi su altri siti

. It is also about "Arandora Star", "Laconia" or "Nova Scotia",

One of the books I've written concerns these ships... https://www.betasom.it/forum/index.php?showtopic=25886

If you like, I can send you some pictures.

40- 60 pages is a long article, anyway I think you'll have to synthetize a lot in order to write about all this stuff!!!! POws ships, Betasom, commanders, admirals.... Good luck!

Link al commento
Condividi su altri siti

Of course, send me photos if you can! I will ask Murcia editore for permission to use. Please skan with minimum 600 dpi.

Another questions:

1. "Leonardo da Vinci" have sank 16 or 17 ships?

2. „Empress of Canada” - 499 or 1000 italian prisoners was on board?

3. 18 Aprile 1943 "Da Vinci" sank „Manaar” or "Mannar"?

4. 25 Aprile 43' "Da Vinci" sank „Doryssa” or "Doryessa"?

5. 15 Aprile 43' "Archimede" was fight with 2 or 5 Catalinas?

Thanks for help! :biggrin:

Link al commento
Condividi su altri siti

Of course, send me photos if you can! I will ask Murcia editore for permission to use. Please skan with minimum 600 dpi.

No problem about Mursia: they didn't use the photos I suggested... :angry: But I skanned them with 300 dpi, that is normally quoted as suitable for printing use.

Let me know. I can send them along with other infos by PM

Link al commento
Condividi su altri siti

Another questions:

1. "Leonardo da Vinci" have sank 16 or 17 ships?

2. „Empress of Canada” - 499 or 1000 italian prisoners was on board?

3. 18 Aprile 1943 "Da Vinci" sank „Manaar” or "Mannar"?

4. 25 Aprile 43' "Da Vinci" sank „Doryssa” or "Doryessa"?

5. 15 Aprile 43' "Archimede" was fight with 2 or 5 Catalinas?

Thanks for help! :biggrin:

For four out of five questions, here are the answers:

1 - 17 ships

2 - 499

3 - Manaar

4 - Doryssa

Best wishes for your forthcoming article!

Maurizio Brescia

Modificato da Alagi
Link al commento
Condividi su altri siti

• 1 month later...

Article has been sent. I have photos from mister Erminio Bagnasco and some from internet. I will write when my text will by in "Okręty".

Now book about Corpo Aereo Italiano and articles about Italian Army before II WW and wars in Etiopia, Espana and Albania :cool: .

Thanks everybody for help!

Best regards,

Marek Sobski

Link al commento
Condividi su altri siti

• 1 month later...

Thank everybody for help! "Okrety" (number 07-08/2013) with first part of my article "Sommergibili na Atlantyku" are available for purchase from shop on-line of Kagero publishing - http://www.sklep.kagero.pl Unfortunately article is only in polish language version.

Writing about Sommergibili was pleasures. Next year I'll start work on "Mare Nostrum" articles. Now I work at 1922-40 years in Italian army with wars in Ethiopia, Spain and Albania.

Best regards,

Marek Sobski

:biggrin:

Link al commento
Condividi su altri siti

• 2 months later...